Thursday, January 24, 2008

Accra. . .the Beginning

   It is now Thursday and tonight will mark my first week in Ghana and it has been quite an adventure! I think the thing that has stood out the most to me since I have been here is how incredibly kind all the people are, they are so amazing! The four Ghana girls have spent the week in Accra to get adjusted and to teach a workshop at the Employment Resource Center here. It is very well organized and the people that are over it are amazing. Our workshop was terrific and we had such a love for the people we taught, they were so great. We also did a session in the Accra temple, it was incredibly and so humbling. Marcee and I were the only white people in the whole place. 
  One of the most exciting things that is going on is that Ghana is hosting the Africa Cup of Nations--it is a giant soccer match where all the African countries vie for the position to go to the world cup. Everybody here is so patriotic! You see yellow, green, and red flags everywhere and Ghana has already won their first match! We are going to the second match tonight Ghana vs. Namibia--it should be pretty exciting and a little crazy. Everybody here is completely caught up in soccer fever!
  We have met quite a few friends here, everybody is so friendly. One of good friends that visits us at the hostel everyday is Isaac, he is 13 and he took me on a very long walk yesterday looking for a bandana to wear to the game today. He is quite the little ladies man and held my hand the entire time! It was pretty funny. 
  Last night a couple of our friends took us to watch a movie. We went to this place and you rent out a room and sit and watch a movie, it was pretty hilarious. The furniture was completely hard and uncomfortable and the best part was the movie was pirated! They had stolen it and were using it in their business! You gotta love 3rd world countries. 
  We haven't tried a whole lot of food yet, we aren't eating a lot--that is good for my losing weight goal. But today I was talking to one of the servers at the hostel and he wanted me to try some of the food so I had Red Red for lunch. It was a plate of sauted goat meat, grilled plantains (hard bananas) and this bean mixture. The food had pretty good flavoring, the plantains were my favorite. But I will admit it isn't the greatest ever. I have been living on beef jerkey and fruit leather---Thanks mom!
  All in all I love it here, the people are absolutely amazing. It is so great to be able to experience so much of the culture while helping the people. Sheryl and I leave for Kumasi tomorrow (Friday) and then we will really be getting to work. That is where we will be staying for the rest of our time here. Should be a great 5 hour bus ride tomorrow, they tell us the road is pretty rough, woohoo! But I can't wait to teach the people there, I already have such a love for them. Please send me emails I love to hear from everybody and I will try to post again soon! 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dayna-
I'm very interested in your newest adventure...there's never a dull moment in your life. CA is the same as always...lots of rain at the moment. I'm taking a trip to Peru for winter break (3 wks) with my boyfriend. He's great- i'll have to update you about him. Miss you and our dish time:)
Love Shannon W.

Tara Shirley said...

Sounds like you are going to have an amazing time there. Can't wait to hear more!! Hope you have fun at the game.

Unknown said...

Okay so I told you I would keep you up to date on the news here in the U.S. of A. Of course I have been very busy so I have only been picking up the lead blurbs as I flip the channel to the food network.

6. Did you know that the vegetable okra originated in Ghana?

5. Heath Ledger died four days ago. It has been the lead story coming back from
every break. All that we have learned in the last four days of continuous
coverage is that he is still dead.

4. When we are not staring at pictures of Heath Ledger, apperantly there is still
Presidential election going on. The top three candidates are a black man, a
woman, and a Mormon. what we have learned on the news about their polotics
is that he is black, she is a woman, and that being a Mormon is scary to
non-mormons.

3. Its good to know that even though man seems to be teetering on his sanity
there will always be available a cute animal doing something cute in front of a
camera.

2. Heath Ledger....... STILL DEAD. As a side story most celebrities are insane.

1. The most amazing story is that you are in Ghana actually doing some good.
Not just talking about with others who have degrees in talking about it.
Not just asking people to do it. No you are actually doing it and that is news
with an eternal perspective.

Congratulations on being the number one story of the week!
Dave

Chelsea Emeline said...

Dayna! I miss you! Every time Kristin asks me to play Settlers with her, I refuse. It just feels like I would be cheating on you. :)

I'm glad you're loving Ghana. They are seriously the kindest and most generous people in the world.

I keep getting texts from my latino friend begging me to at least tell him I'm ok. It's just that I don't know what to say to him so I never write back. hmm.

Sundance was fun. We went up to the festival and partied. We saw some comedians and bands perform, but never made it to a screening. Oh well. It was a grand time, freezing cold, but grand.

Anyway... I love you and miss you! Keep having so much fun and being wonderful!

Chelsea

P.S. I laughed out loud at work reading David's comment. It's all true. :)

Alyssa said...

Dayna, It sounds amazing! And that little boy is the most adorable, ever. I hope you can continue to give us updates, because I'm hooked on your adventure already.

daynak said...

Thanks guys for your comments! You make me feel so good! I will keep you informed on all the happenings. And Chelsea playing Settlers without me is a form of cheating! Stay true and wait until Italy!
Love you all!!!!

sweetayisha said...

hi,my nmae is ayisha and i have heard alot about ghana but please i have a question.i heard they are nice men in ghana.is that true and any of them try to make a move on you yet?i have been reading your page every they and i think you are helping me aalot